Tips for Using Websites to Meet New People and Find Relationships
- Develop a profile which is honest but accentuates your best qualities.
For example instead of just listing your profession explain what you like about it.
Remember there is a sales or promotional aspect to online dating so use humor and show your friendliest side.
- Avoid reaching out to people who only describe the positive aspects of themselves: you want an idea of what they are really like.
- Pictures: May or may not be that accurate. You can ask if the picture is recent in an email.
- Stay with your own interests i.e. if you are an indoor activity person do not reach out to someone who describes all of their “outdoor” activities.
- Keep you expectations low until you actually meet the person.
- You will usually need to meet lots of people (5-10) to find one person who works for you.
Types of Meeting People Websites
Look for sites which match you automatically with people:
Eliminate some of the work.
Help you get past the “basics” with some people.
Still may have inaccuracies in how people portray themselves.
Help get you started.
Sites: Where You Pick People to Contact After You Have Seen Their Profile
You may have to go through more profiles.
Sometimes yield the same results as sites where you are automatically matched.
Can offer positive results if you are willing to put in a lot of time reviewing sites.
Coffee shop meetings or a simple walk are good activities.
Do not over commit yourself in terms of time: 45 minutes is about right.
If you like someone during a coffee date then try to let them know that but you can also contact them later.
Try to convey who you are instead of being overly pleasing.
Try to enjoy yourself and allow for pauses in the conversation.